Aung San Suu Kyi detention extended as protests continue in Myanmar

law insider official logo news
law insider official logo news

Sushree Mohanty

Myanmar’s military chiefs have expanded the detainment period of ousted leader Aung San Suu Kyi. The extension of the detainment comes in light of the mass protest by the civilians who are fighting against the military coup.

Advocate Khin Maung Zaw, an attorney representing Suu Kyi said that she will currently be remanded until February 17, 2021, when will probably show up in court through a video conference meeting.

She will be produced before the court for charges against her by Army chief General Min Aung Hlaing alleging extortions and fraud by her and her party members in the general elections.

President Win Myint – who, as Suu Kyi, was also subjected to detainment on February 1, 2021, was accused of disregarding COVID-19 limitations when he participated in an event in September 2020.

Both Win Myint and Suu Kyi are slated for an appearance before the court for proceedings and questioning, said legal counsellor Khin Maung Zaw outside a court in Naypyidaw, Myanmar’s capital.

“When they are brought to the court on both February 16 and 17, they will be questioned via video-conferencing,” he added.

He added that he would likewise be required to appear on behalf of Win Htein, a top National League for Democracy chief who was also detained post the ousting of the government.

Suu Kyi’s confidante and her right-hand man, Win Htein, had addressed the media post the conflict and approached individuals of Myanmar and pleaded with them to “oppose (the coup) as much as they can”.

Htein is accused of slander and defamation. 

“We are trying our best to meet with them,” said Khin Maung Zaw in regards to all three of his councils.

Suu Kyi’s detainment is probably going to additionally aggravate the conflicts between the military and the general public when the former staged a coup on Feb. 1, 2021. 

The general public has expressed their dissent and has taken out protests across the Southeast Asian country seeking the restoration of their elected government.

The public continued to fight and protest across Myanmar following a night in which concerned headquarters and authorities cut the country’s access to internet facilities  and expanded the security presence in significant urban communities looking to reduce the protests. 

Engineers took out demonstrations in the city of Mandalay, the country’s second-biggest city, holding signs that read:“Free our leader,” “Who stands with justice?” and “Stop arresting people illegally at midnight.”

In Yangon, the country’s most crowded city, comparatively fewer demonstrators gathered due to the deficiency of the web access and reports of military vehicles in the city.

However, few hundreds of people who are against the coup continued to protest outside the Central Bank of Myanmar building, where there were likewise military trucks with officers, revolt police, water-gun trucks and armed personnel.

Demonstrators conveyed notices that read “#SupportCDM #SaveMyanmar.” CDM alludes to the “Civil Disobedience Movement” that has been set up by the specialists, architects and others in Myanmar stating that they will not return to work until the military heads release the political pioneers and return the country to regular democratic rule.

A few people took out photographs before military vehicles while holding red signs that said “Participate in CDM.” 

When the military coup took place and seized power, it confined Suu Kyi and ministers from her administration. It also delayed the recently elected officials from opening the new meeting of Parliament.

The junta, headed by Senior Gen. Min Aung Hlaing, said it stepped in light of the fact that the public authority neglected to appropriately investigate the charges of extortion and fraud in the general election, which Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy party won in an avalanche. 

The state commission for election invalidated the claims, saying there is no proof to rely on or support it.

A request from the Ministry of Transport and Communications ordered the cell phone organizations to close down web associations from 1 a.m. to 9 a.m. on February 15, 2021. The order was spread via online media, as did a notification said to be from network managing providers’ co-op Oredoo Myanmar containing similar subtleties. 

On February 14, 2021, envoys from the United States and Canada and 12 European countries approached Myanmar’s security powers to forgo brutality against those fighting for their ousted elected government.

They denounced the captures of political pioneers and activists as well as the coup.A joint statement was also released by the nations stating their disappointment and disapproval of the coup and supporting Myanmar. It also carried the statement of “The world is watching.”

Read also: US reacts to Military Coup in Myanmar; strikes by suspending the Army Generals’ access to its assets

Related Post