Published on: October 8, 2023 at 10:18 IST
Welcome to Law Insider India’s highly anticipated annual ranking of the “Top 10 law colleges in India”. Just like you, we’re on a quest to discover the crème de la crème of legal education institutions. Our journey involves a deep dive into the very soul of these law schools, meticulously evaluating every nook and cranny that shapes the experience of budding legal minds.
In our relentless pursuit of excellence, we’ve crafted a recipe that considers the following crucial ingredients.
1. Industry Reputation: Picture this as the red carpet of the legal world. We gauge how these law colleges strut their stuff, measuring their fame and glory among legal pros, firms, and organizations.
2. Peer Reputation: Think of this as the academic grapevine. We eavesdrop on what the intellectual bigwigs are saying. Respect and admiration within the academic community are golden stars in our book.
3. Academic Standards/Quality of Faculty: At the heart of every great institution are its teachers. We’ve got our magnifying glasses out, examining the qualifications, research mojo, and teaching flair of these mentors.
4. Recruitment Statistics/Placement Opportunities: We’re all about that post-graduation paycheck. We’re sleuthing to find out how well these colleges prepare their students for the real legal battlefield.
5. Industry Linkages: Who you know matters as much as what you know. We’re looking for strong connections with the legal big shots – collaborations, partnerships, and networking galore.
6. Student Community/Campus Life: College isn’t just about books; it’s about friendships, fun, and personal growth. We’re taking a stroll through the student hangouts, looking for diversity and extracurricular pizzazz.
7. Hostel Quality: Home is where the heart is, even for students. We’re rating the comfort and convenience of those on-campus abodes.
8. IT Infrastructure/Library: In the digital age, tech and books go hand in hand. We’re checking out the tech gear and book stacks to ensure students have the best resources at their fingertips.
9. Quality of Entrance Process: Getting in the door matters. We’re peeking behind the curtain to see if the admission process is fair, transparent, and welcoming to all.
10. Curriculum: It’s not just about what’s taught; it’s how it’s taught. We’re sizing up the course offerings, flexibility, and opportunities for specialization.
Our rankings are your compass, helping you navigate the seas of legal education. We believe that by offering this comprehensive evaluation, we empower you, your family, and educators to make informed choices about your educational journey.
Let’s dive headfirst into Law Insider India’s exclusive ranking of the top 10 law colleges in India
1. National Law School of India University, Bengaluru (Rank: 1):
LI Ratings: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
It is Known for its rigorous academic programs and esteemed faculty, NLSIU Bengaluru consistently secures the top position in the rankings.
The National Law School of India University (NLSIU) was established in 1986 as India’s first National Law University with a mission to reform legal education and transform the Indian legal system through research and policy interventions.
The university’s vision includes creating contemporary curricular experiences, socially relevant learning, impactful reforms, and digitization of academic resources.
It is Located in Bengaluru, NLSIU’s 23-acre campus fosters a vibrant student community engaged in moot courts, debates, and academic activities, supported by a state-of-the-art library and essential facilities.
National Law School of India University (NLSIU) in Bengaluru is often ranked highly, based on common factors that influence university rankings.
- Academic Excellence: NLSIU is known for its rigorous academic programs and high academic standards. It often has well-qualified and experienced faculty members, and its curriculum is designed to provide students with a strong foundation in law.
- Placement Record: High-ranking universities typically have strong ties with law firms, corporations, and other legal organizations, leading to impressive placement records for their graduates. NLSIU’s placement record might be one of the factors contributing to its high rank, As per the university, there was a 100% placement record.
- Infrastructure: Modern and well-equipped infrastructure enhance the overall learning experience. NLSIU have invested in state-of-the-art facilities, libraries, moot courtrooms, and other resources that contribute to its high ranking.
2. National Law University, New Delhi (Rank: 2):
LI Ratings: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
NLU Delhi is renowned for its research-oriented approach and vibrant campus life.
The primary goal of the University is to provide comprehensive and interdisciplinary legal education that is socially relevant. This education aims to promote legal and ethical values, uphold the rule of law, and support the objectives of the Indian Constitution.
The University strives to disseminate legal knowledge for national development, enhance the ability to analyze contemporary public issues, and raise legal awareness in the community to achieve political, social, and economic justice.
The ranking is based on common factors such as:
- Academic Excellence: NLU Delhi is known for its rigorous academic programs, high-quality faculty, and a curriculum designed to provide students with a strong legal education.
- Placement Records: High-ranking law schools tend to have strong relationships with law firms, corporations, and other legal employers, leading to high placement rates for their graduates. Successful alumni often contribute to the placement success of the institution, As per the university, there was a 100% placement record.
- Infrastructure: NLU Delhi is known for its modern and well-equipped campus facilities. It boasts state-of-the-art academic buildings equipped with classrooms, lecture halls, and seminar rooms to facilitate legal education. The university has an extensive library with a vast collection of legal literature and research materials, essential for law students and scholars.NLU Delhi’s residential facilities include hostels for students, ensuring accommodation on campus. Moot courtrooms and moot court halls are integral to the infrastructure, supporting the development of advocacy skills among students. The campus features auditoriums and seminar halls for conferences, symposiums, and other academic events. Additionally, there are sports facilities, including sports fields and gyms, to promote a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Administrative offices manage admissions, student affairs, and other administrative functions efficiently. Research centers cater to specialized legal research needs. IT infrastructure is robust, enabling online learning and research. Recreational areas offer spaces for relaxation and socialization, contributing to the overall campus experience. Security measures ensure the safety of students and the campus community.
3. Nalsar University of Law, Hyderabad (Rank: 3):
LI Ratings: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Nalsar’s vision is to be a trailblazing institution, setting new standards in legal education and research. It aspires to be at the forefront of transformative legal practices and societal development, making a significant impact not only in India but also on a global scale. The university envisions itself as a beacon of excellence, driving legal education, research, and practice to empower individuals and communities. This vision underscores Nalsar’s dedication to pushing boundaries, embracing diversity, and catalyzing change in the field of law.
NALSAR University of Law ranking is because of common factors such as:
- Academic Excellence: NALSAR is known for its rigorous academic programs in law. It offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programs that are designed to provide students with a strong foundation in legal studies.
- Research and Publications: NALSAR places a strong emphasis on legal research and encourages both faculty and students to engage in scholarly activities. The university often publishes research papers, journals, and books, contributing to the field of legal scholarship.
- Moot Court Competitions: NALSAR is known for its strong participation and performance in moot court competitions at the national and international levels. Mooting is an essential part of legal education, and success in these competitions enhance the reputation of the institution.
- Placement Record: For undergraduates, campus placement is managed by the Recruitment Co-ordination Committee (RCC), ensuring successful placements through collaborative efforts of students, faculty, and administration. LL.M students benefit from advanced legal training, winter internships, and a rigorous curriculum. The LL.M Recruitment Coordination Committee (LRCC) manages campus recruitment, catering to various specializations, such as Corporate Laws, International Trade & Business Laws, and IPR
- Infrastructure: NALSAR typically invests in modern and well-equipped infrastructure, including moot courtrooms, libraries, and research facilities, to provide students with a conducive learning environment.
- Interdisciplinary Approach: NALSAR often promotes an interdisciplinary approach to legal education, encouraging students to explore the intersections of law with other fields, such as economics, politics, and technology.
4. The West Bengal National University of Juridicial Sciences, Kolkata (Rank: 4):
LI Ratings: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
WBNUJS is celebrated for its interdisciplinary legal education approach.
The vision is to provide legal education from both national and international perspectives, positioning the university as a center of excellence for lifelong learning. The institution aims to enable students to engage in impactful interdisciplinary knowledge acquisition and research-based, justice-oriented ethical learning.
The establishment of NUJS, is as per the WBNUJS Act of 1999, was driven by the need to create a national-level institution of excellence in legal education in the state of West Bengal, aligning with the recommendations of committees and conferences on legal education and training in India.
The college has been ranked on following grounds:
- Strong Vision and Mission: NUJS has a clear and ambitious vision and mission that focuses on interdisciplinary learning, research-based education, and ethical training. This commitment to a well-defined purpose sets the foundation for academic excellence.
- Focus on Quality: NUJS emphasizes the imparting of high-quality legal knowledge, skills, and research capabilities. The university strives to maintain high academic standards, ensuring that students receive top-notch education.
- Innovation: NUJS promotes innovation in teaching and learning. This commitment to innovation keeps the curriculum and teaching methods up-to-date with the latest developments in the legal field, which is crucial in a rapidly evolving legal landscape.
- Interdisciplinary Approach: NUJS recognizes the importance of interdisciplinary knowledge, acknowledging the interconnectedness of law with other fields such as science and technology. This approach prepares students to address complex real-world issues effectively.
- Placement: NUJS has a remarkable track record in terms of placements, consistently attracting prestigious law firms, corporate giants, government organizations, and international companies to its campus for recruitment. This reflects the university’s commitment to facilitating promising career prospects for its graduates across various sectors, ranging from corporate law and litigation to public policy, academia, and international law. NUJS boasts a robust alumni network, where former students actively engage with current ones, providing valuable mentorship and guidance for successful job placements.
- Infrastructure: NUJS takes pride in its state-of-the-art campus, which serves as a conducive environment for both learning and personal growth. The university houses a well-equipped library boasting an extensive collection of legal texts, journals, and research materials. This resource-rich library serves as a vital hub for students and researchers alike.In terms of accommodation, NUJS offers on-campus hostel facilities, ensuring the convenience and safety of its students. The campus also often includes a cafeteria and recreational amenities, providing students with spaces to unwind, socialize, and recharge. Additionally, NUJS maintains robust IT infrastructure, including well-equipped computer labs and high-speed internet access, catering to the technological needs of its academic community.
5. Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi (Rank: 5):
LI Ratings: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
JMI’s law school is known for its commitment to promoting legal education among underrepresented communities.
The vision of institution is to strive for the development of a secular and contemporary integrated education system that contributes to the sustainable progress of society, ultimately creating a better future for all. Our mission is to evolve into a world-class institution, dedicated to the dissemination and advancement of knowledge through exceptional instruction, research, and outreach, while upholding the values of nationalism, pluralism, and utilizing education as a means to address emerging challenges.
The college is ranked keeping in mind following key factors
- Location Jamia Millia Islamia is located in New Delhi, the capital city of India. Being situated in the national capital provides students with access to a wide range of job opportunities, internships, and connections with government agencies, multinational corporations, and leading law firms.
- Academic Excellence The university has a long history of academic excellence and offers a diverse range of programs in various fields. Strong academic programs and faculty attract employers looking for well-prepared graduates.
- Industry-Relevant Curriculum: Universities that regularly update their curriculum to align with industry needs and trends to produce graduates who are better prepared for the job market.
- Infrastructure: Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI) is renowned for its modern and well-maintained infrastructure, fostering an enriching educational environment. The campus comprises state-of-the-art academic buildings equipped with modern classrooms and cutting-edge facilities, providing essential support for a diverse array of academic programs. The university’s libraries stand as repositories of knowledge, housing extensive collections of books, journals, and research materials that effectively cater to the diverse academic needs of both students and researchers.
- Placement: JMI has a distinguished history of facilitating job placements for its graduates, thanks to several key elements within its ecosystem. The university maintains a dedicated placement cell, actively assisting students in securing job opportunities by organizing placement drives and inviting recruiters to the campus. This cell also provides invaluable guidance and support throughout the placement process.
6. Symbiosis Law School, Pune (Rank: 6):
LI Ratings: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Symbiosis Law School, Pune, is recognized for its commitment to excellence in advanced knowledge and inclusivity. Its vision centers on becoming a dynamic, creative, and competitive Center of Excellence, especially relevant for the development of the nation and the marginalized sections of society. The emphasis on diversity and international collaborations enhances its global perspective.
The ground for its ranking are:
- Diverse Student Body: Symbiosis Law School, Pune, is known for its diverse student body, attracting students from various backgrounds. This diversity enrich the learning experience and contribute to its ranking.
- International Collaborations: Collaborations with international institutions and exposure to global legal perspectives may enhance the school’s reputation and ranking.
- Infrastructure: The institution’s state-of-the-art campus, complete with well-equipped libraries, technologically advanced classrooms, moot court halls, and comprehensive IT facilities, provides students with an enriching learning environment. This robust infrastructure supports rigorous legal education and research endeavors.
- Placement:Symbiosis Law School’s remarkable placement record stands as a testament to its commitment to student success. The campus regularly hosts renowned law firms, corporate giants, government organizations, and global firms for recruitment drives, opening doors to diverse and rewarding career paths. Graduates have the privilege of pursuing careers in corporate law, litigation, public policy, academia, international law, and more.
7. Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar (Rank: 7):
LI Ratings: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
GNLU’s vision aligns with its strong focus on research and innovation in the legal field. While the provided information does not include specific details, its vision likely emphasizes the pursuit of excellence in legal education, research, and contributions to the legal domain
The ground for its ranking are:
- Research and Innovation: GNLU’s strong focus on research and innovation in the legal field can contribute to its high ranking. Research output, publications, and innovation in legal education be significant factors.
- Placement: GNLU has carved a niche for itself in the legal education landscape with a strong emphasis on research and innovation. This focus has translated into remarkable placement opportunities for its graduates. The university regularly hosts placement drives featuring prestigious law firms, corporate entities, government agencies, and international organizations. GNLU’s dedicated placement cell plays a pivotal role in connecting students with these opportunities, offering career guidance, interview preparation, and networking events. Graduates have the privilege of pursuing diverse career paths, including corporate law, litigation, public policy, and international law.
- Infrastructure: GNLU’s infrastructure is designed to provide students with a conducive environment for both academic and research endeavors. The campus features modern academic buildings equipped with technologically advanced classrooms that facilitate effective teaching and learning. The university’s well-stocked libraries house an extensive collection of legal texts, journals, and research materials, serving as valuable resources for students and researchers. Additionally, GNLU provides well-equipped laboratories that support hands-on learning and research in various legal disciplines. Moot court halls are available to students, offering a simulated courtroom experience vital for honing advocacy skills. Robust IT infrastructure, including computer labs and high-speed internet access, ensures access to digital resources and facilitates research.
8. Siksha `O` Anusandhan, Bhubaneswar (Rank: 8):
LI Ratings: ⭐⭐⭐
Siksha O Anusandhan’s vision centers on offering a unique blend of legal education with a strong foundation in ethics. Although not explicitly mentioned, its vision may revolve around producing ethically responsible legal professionals with a commitment to upholding ethical standards in the legal profession
The ground for its ranking are:
- Ethical Foundation: The unique blend of legal education with a strong foundation in ethics may set Siksha O Anusandhan apart. An emphasis on ethics and values in legal education be appealing to ranking organizations.
- Placement SOA’s commitment to holistic education extends to its robust placement initiatives. Graduates from the university have access to a wide spectrum of career opportunities, thanks to collaborations with leading law firms, corporate organizations, government bodies, and research institutions. The dedicated placement cell at SOA plays a pivotal role in connecting students with these opportunities, offering career counseling, interview preparation, and organizing placement drives. This ensures that graduates explore diverse career paths, including corporate law, litigation, public policy, and academia. The institution’s focus on ethics and values in legal education resonates with recruiters, and its graduates are well-received in the job market. SOA’s reputation for producing ethically grounded and competent legal professionals contributes significantly to its high ranking.
- Infrastructure: SOA boasts a modern and well-equipped infrastructure that complements its academic excellence. The campus features state-of-the-art academic buildings with technologically advanced classrooms that facilitate interactive and effective learning. The university’s library is well-stocked with an extensive collection of legal texts, journals, and research materials, providing students and researchers with valuable resources. Moot court halls are available to students, offering a simulated courtroom experience to enhance their advocacy skills. The presence of laboratories supports hands-on learning and research in various legal disciplines. SOA’s commitment to ethics and values is reflected in its campus environment, contributing to a holistic educational experience. In summary, SOA’s infrastructure, combined with its focus on ethical legal education, positions it as a top-tier institution for aspiring law professionals seeking a well-rounded education and promising career prospects
9. Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur (Rank: 9):
LI Ratings: ⭐⭐⭐
IIT Kharagpur envisions itself as a forward-looking institution, striving to be a dynamic, creative, and competitive Center of Excellence in advanced knowledge. This excellence is particularly relevant for the development of the nation and the empowerment of socially, educationally, and economically marginalized sections of society. The vision underscores IIT Kharagpur’s commitment to innovation, inclusivity, and a global perspective. The institution seeks to prepare socially responsible global citizens who thrive in an ever-evolving world, utilizing collaborations, rigorous training, and cutting-edge educational trends.
The ground for its ranking are:
- Technology Integration: IIT Kharagpur’s law school’s combination of technology and law be an attractive feature. Integrating technology into legal education be forward-looking and innovative, potentially contributing to its ranking.
- Reputation as an Architecture College: While not directly related to the law school, IIT Kharagpur’s broader reputation as an architecture college within the same institution may also influence its overall ranking.
- Placement: IIT Kharagpur’s law school is renowned for its outstanding placement record. Graduates of the institution are highly sought after by prestigious law firms, multinational corporations, government bodies, and international organizations. The university’s dedicated placement cell plays a pivotal role in facilitating these opportunities, organizing placement drives, and inviting top recruiters to the campus. This ensures that students have access to a wide array of career choices, spanning corporate law, litigation, public policy, and more. The institution’s reputation for producing competent and industry-ready legal professionals contributes significantly to its high ranking and appeals to prospective law students seeking promising career prospects.
- Infrastructure:, IIT Kharagpur offers a world-class learning environment supported by cutting-edge infrastructure. The law school’s modern campus features state-of-the-art classrooms equipped with advanced audio-visual facilities, fostering effective teaching and learning. Additionally, well-equipped laboratories provide students with hands-on experience and research opportunities in various aspects of law. The moot court halls offer a simulated courtroom experience, crucial for developing advocacy skills. The institution’s commitment to technology integration is not limited to the legal field but extends across the entire campus, ensuring access to high-speed internet, computer labs, and digital resources. This comprehensive infrastructure adds significant value to the overall learning experience, attracting students and further solidifying its place among the top law schools in the country.
10. Babasheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University, Lucknow (Rank: 10):
LI Ratings: ⭐⭐⭐
BBAU Lucknow focuses on holistic legal education with a strong emphasis on social justice.
The ranking is on following grounds:
- Inclusivity and Social Responsibility: The university’s vision emphasizes its commitment to being a center of excellence that is especially relevant for the development of the nation and marginalized sections of society. This strong focus on inclusivity and social responsibility sets it apart.
- Global Citizenship: The vision outlines a commitment to providing learning experiences beyond linguistic and geographical boundaries, promoting the development of socially and ethically responsible global citizens. This global perspective is forward-looking.
- Emerging Trends and Employability: The strategic initiatives include a major focus on emerging global educational trends, employability, and rigorous training for graduates. This demonstrates adaptability and relevance to the evolving needs of education and the job market.
- Integrated Courses: Offering integrated courses in science and key frontier areas of technology reflects a commitment to interdisciplinary education and innovation.
- Social and Economic Development: Providing relevant courses for the development of socially and economically disadvantaged sections, including agricultural technology and rural crafts, contributes to societal development.
- Values of Dr. Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar: Promoting the principles of national integration, social justice, and democratic values, in line with Dr. Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar’s legacy, demonstrates a commitment to his ideals.
Indian Legal Education Dominance Continues: comparison to previous year NIRF Ranking
For the sixth consecutive year, the National Law School of India University (NLSIU) in Bangalore has claimed the coveted top spot in India’s law school rankings as per the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) for 2023.
National Law University, Delhi maintains its second-place position, firmly established as a powerhouse of legal education. NALSAR University of Law in Hyderabad secures the third spot, echoing the 2021 NIRF results.
While last year’s rankings saw Symbiosis Law School (SLS), Pune, in the third position, it has dropped to sixth place this year. West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences (WBNUJS), Kolkata, and Jamia Millia Islamia now occupy the fourth and fifth positions, respectively.
Another notable mention is Gujarat National Law University (GNLU), Gandhinagar, which clinches the seventh spot, with Siksha O Anusandhan rising to number 8 compared to the previous year. Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur (IIT Kharagpur) moves down three ranks to hold the ninth position. Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University in Lucknow secures the tenth position, marking its debut in the top 10 list.
Check out NIRF ranking Score 2023 at: MoE, National Institute Ranking Framework (NIRF) (nirfindia.org)
The Aforementioned ranking order of top 10 law colleges is based on the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) ranking system. NIRF is an initiative of the Ministry of Education, Government of India, aimed at ranking educational institutions across the country. The rankings provided are as per the latest available NIRF data and are subject to change in subsequent years. Users are advised to verify the rankings from the official NIRF website for the most up-to-date information.
Please note that the rankings provided above are for informational purposes only and should not be considered as a sole criterion for choosing an educational institution. It is recommended that prospective students conduct thorough research and consider various factors such as faculty, infrastructure, placement opportunities, and course offerings before making a decision about their education.