Allahabad High Court Orders Second Autopsy of Kasganj Custodial Death Victim

allahabad high court law insider

Nishka Srinivas Veluvali

Published On: February 11, 2022 at 17:43 IST

On Thursday, 10 February, the Allahabad High Court had ordered for the second Autopsy of Altaf Miyan, who was found dead in the Police Custody in Uttar Pradesh’s Kasganj.

The Bench consisting of Justice Anjani Kumar Mishra and Justice Deepak Verma were considering the Plea filed by the victim’s father, Chand Miyan.

The Petition requested for the Investigation by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and second post – mortem to be executed outside Uttar Pradesh as the UP Police being an involved party in the Case.

The Bench directed that, “We therefore, direct that the body of the deceased, Altaf shall be exhumed forthwith in the presence of Superintendent of Police, Kasganj. The body after it has been exhumed shall be sealed and immediately transported to the All-India Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi, where a post-mortem examination of the exhumed body shall be conducted in presence of a team of doctors”.

The Court Ordered that the entire procedure of this afresh post – mortem and submissions of the same as per its directions should be concluded in 10 days.

The Court stated that, “This order has been passed because it is the case of the petitioner based upon photographs brought on record, wherein the deceased, Altaf is shown to have hung himself from a water pipe, which was installed only three feet above the ground of the toilet”.

Altaf Miyan, aged 21 years resident of Nagla Sayyad Ahroli was Accused of running away with a girl.

Upon capturing him, Altaf was taken to the Sadar Police Station for questioning and further Interrogation on November 08 in Kasganj, where he was allegedly found dead in the custody.

The Superintendent of Police had reported the incident as, “Altaf, son of Chand Mian, was brought on the charge of running away with a girl. When the police were interrogating him, he asked the policeman to go to the bathroom. The police officer sent him to the bathroom inside the lock-up, and after a while, when he did not come out, a worker went to check. He had tightened the hood of his jacket around his throat, by tying it to a pipe”.

However, this statement of the Police had raised many questions regarding the incident and doubts of the crime scene being tampered by the Police Authorities.

Also read: The Unacceptable truth of Custodial Deaths

Related Post