Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh
NAME – Jai Ram Thakur
BORN – 6 January,1965
PLACE OF BIRTH – Mandi , Himachal Pradesh
FATHER’S NAME –Jethu Ram
MOTHER’S NAME – Brikmu Devi
SPOUSE – Dr. Sadna Thakur
CHILDREN – 2 daughters ( Priyanka and Chandrika Thakur)
Primary education – Kurani School.
Graduation – Vallabh Govt. Degree College Mandi, H.P
Post- Graduation – Punjab University, Chandigarh.
POLITICAL PARTY- Bharatiya Janata party
REMARKABLE ACHIEVEMENT- Development of kiratpur to Nerpur section of NH- 21 to green field alignment.
AWARDS – Awarded state of the States conclave 2019 by India Today.
Jai Ram Thakur is the 14th and current Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh. He belongs to Bharatiya Janta Party.
BACKGROUND – He was born to a poor family in village of Mandi’s Thunag area, Thakur was fourth child. His father, Jethu Ram, used to work as mason. Jai RamThakur is married to ABVP colleague Dr. Sadhana Thakur and they have two daughters.
UPBRINGING & EDUCATION – He was born to a family with limited means. He worked after school to gather enough money to pursue college. He has done his BA from Vallabh Govt. College and MA from Panjab University in Chandigarh.
WALK OF LIFE-
- Remained Joint Secretary, State ABVP –1986;
- Organizing Secretary, ABVP (J&K),1989-93; Secretary, State Bharatiya Janata Party Yuva Morcha, 1993-95;
- President: State BJYM, B.J.P. District Mandi, 2000-03;
- Vice President, State Bharatiya Janata Party, 2003-05; and President, State Bharatiya Janata Party, 2006-09.
- Elected to the State Legislative Assembly in 1998; re-elected in 2003, 2007 from Chachiot Assembly Constituency and in 2012 from Seraj Assembly Constituency; Before delimitation in 2007, Seraj Assembly segment was known as Chachiot.
- Remained Chairman, Rural Planning Committee and Member of various other House Committees from January, 2008 to July, 2009
- Chairman, General Development Committee & Education Committee; Vice-Chairman, State Civil Supplies Corporation Ltd. ; Panchayati Raj & Rural Development Minister from 09th July, 2009 to December, 2012
- Member, Estimates, Public Undertakings, Ethics and Human Development Committees, 2013-17.
- Re-elected to the thirteenth Vidhan Sabha (5th term) in December, 2017; assume the office of Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh on 27th December, 2017.
MAJOR INITIATIVES TAKEN-
- Initiative ‘Har Ghar Pathshala’ has been launched for ensuring online classes to benefit the students recently during pandemic time.
- Implementation of NEP 2020 task force (National Education Policy)
- Welfare schemes like Grahini Suvidha Yojana giving 2.86 lakh LPG connections, Sahara Yojna providing Rs 3,000 per month to 11,000 families with a terminally ill patient, Him Care under which 1.24 lakh beneficiaries have been provided treatment worth Rs 128 crore and loan subsidy under Swavlamban Yojna have brought succour to people.
CAREER TIMELINE –
- 1986: Became the Joint secretary of Himachal Pradesh’ Akhil Bhartiya Vidhyarthi Parishad (ABVP)
- 1989-93: Became the Organizing Secretary of ABVP in Jammu and Kashmir.
- 1993-95: Became State Secretary of Bharatiya Janata Party Yuva Morcha in Himachal Pradesh
- 1998: Elected to the Himachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly
- 2000-2003: Served as the Vice President of Bharatiya Janta Party in Himachal Pradesh
- 2003: Re-elected to the Himachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly
- 2003-2005: Served as the President of Bharatiya Janta Party Yuva Morcha in Himachal Pradesh
- 2007: Re-elected again to the Himachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly
- 2012: Re-elected to the Himachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly for the fourth time
- 2017: Re-elected to the Himachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly for the fifth time, and on 27th December, he was shown as the 14th Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh